Trade

A large influence in Venetian dress is due to Venice’s huge success in trade. Venice became well known throughout the world for its flourishing trade centers and textile industry, which connected the Western world with the East. Their location gave them an advantage over other Italian cities to connect with other trading ports from across the world. As one Venetian patrician claimed, “For a certain novelty of placement and opportune position, it was by itself the only form in all the universe so miraculously disposed.” Even before the Renaissance, Venice had already been trading with the Islamic world as early as the ninth century, and continued to in the sixteenth century. During the 1200s, trade between Egypt, Syria, Southeast Asia, Iran and China was present, especially with their trade of spices, grain, wine, and salt. The spice trade with the east was the reason for Venice’s expansion of their high quality textile manufacturing. The high quality woolen textiles, for example, that were put on the market were in exchange for supply of spices from the east. Venice’s ability to find excellent labor, raw materials, and capital contributed to their success in trading desirable woolen textiles in exchange for eastern goods. The city’s “textile trade was the single most important achievement of the Italian city state economy” during the 14th century.

Thanks to Marco Polo’s opening of the silk route between Venice and the East in the thirteenth century, Venetian merchants established links between the Mongol Empire, Persia, Armenia, the Caucasus, and Asia Minor. The city was able to acquire many exotic goods used for garments, such as porcelain and pearl from the Far East; gems, mineral dyes, peacock feathers, and a profusion of textiles like silks, cottons, and brocades from Egypt and Asia Minor; minerals from Germany; wool and woven cloth from Flanders and England.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/ch1en/conc1en/img/silkroad.gif&imgrefurl=http://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/ch1en/conc1en/silkroad.html&usg=__0y1TewHvyOOBIGIJWAM_oOtXIoA=&h=339&w=630&sz=19&hl=en&start=2&sig2=ayOhjzFcL-gcVKcZvVv9xg&um=1&tbnid=ivNby_hDl4-_9M:&tbnh=74&tbnw=137&ei=_A9ASbfeI8zAtgfyybC1BQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsilk%2Broad%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN

Return to title page

Responses

This was amazing! This helped me so much on my project

what items were Venice trading? (not receiving)

This info is awesome helped me with everything i needed for my project, oh and elisa Venice made different types of silk, they made books, textiles, art and they sold their advanced technology.

This was great and helped a lot.

hi wat can you tel me about venesie and eropa se handel goed

wat is die 4 goed wat venice van eropa af gekry het

this was the most awesome website ever!! i loved how it had a blue backround :) its such a nice colour, i really liked how it was such great but boring information :) luv ya

How long did Veinice influnce on trade last and during what time period?

this definitely helped a ton but the website is kinda dated. You should definitely update it to get more people to visit it, but is still helps :-)-+<

This is the best website i found. It has helped me alot in a project that im currently doing for Global History about Venice, and how does it connects it to the famous Silk Road. It has plethora of information thats useful. Love the website. I do agree on the updating thing two :)

I love this website it really help me

LOVED IT !!!!!! BEST WEBSITE EVER!!!!

helped me a lot :)

Hi this must be good cause of the comments YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi

!!@&*)_!@#$%^&*()_+!2346767845800$

I love it

hey there

Leave a response

Your response: